This cheesy, meatless lasagna incorporates a traditional homemade Italian sauce with four delectable cheeses. It’s sure to be a hit during Lent, with a vegetarian crowd, or any other time that you’re craving a big cheese fix.
This cheesy, meatless lasagna incorporates a traditional homemade Italian sauce with four delectable cheeses. It's sure to be a hit during Lent, with a vegetarian crowd, or any other time that you're craving a big cheese fix.
Author: Cara Borromei
Recipe type: Main Dishes, Pasta, Vegetarian
(or use a 24 oz. jar of your favorite store-bought sauce)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- ½ tsp. Italian Seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- 32 oz. tub ricotta cheese
- 2 c. (8 oz.) mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1½ c. (6 oz.) Fontina cheese, divided
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 egg
- Package of no-boil lasagna sheets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan at medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions to hot olive oil in saucepan. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Add chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add stewed tomatoes, breaking up large chunks with a spoon.
- Add tomato sauce, ½ tsp. Italian Seasoning, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and keep sauce at a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in white wine. Continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, stir together the tub of ricotta cheese, 1½ c. mozzarella cheese, 1 c. Fontina cheese, Parmesan cheese, 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning, and the egg.
- In a separate bowl, toss the remaining ½ c. mozzarella cheese and ½ c. Fontina cheese together.
- Once sauce is done, spread ⅓ of it on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Layer 4 lasagna sheets on top of the sauce.
- Spread ½ of the four-cheese mixture on top of the lasagna sheets.
- Spread another ⅓ of the sauce, 4 more lasagna sheets, and the remaining ½ of the four-cheese mixture.
- Top with 4 more lasagna sheets and the remaining ⅓ of sauce.
- Sprinkle the reserved mozzarella/Fontina mixture evenly over the top of the lasagna.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let lasagna sit for 10 minutes before serving.